GeekISP Closing Down
Today I am announcing that GeekISP will be closing down effective January 31, 2021. The tech world, and my life, has changed in many ways since GeekISP first started in November of 2002 and while GeekISP has been incredibly stable and reliable over that time, there are options available today that reflect the more modern state of hosting technologies. I am proud that GeekISP has always been a one-man operation and although it is bittersweet, it is time for me to close this chapter of my business and my life.
The timeline and details are as follows:
* GeekISP’s hosting services will terminate officially on January 31, 2021.
* Final archival backups will be taken starting approximately February 1, 2021 and stored for 3 months. These archives are intended for extraordinary circumstances.
* Machines will be powered down once the archival backup is complete. This will likely proceed in phases.
* Registrar reseller services via Dotster will continue indefinitely. Your domain ownership is safe!
* Customers who have paid for service beyond January 31, 2021 will receive a prorated refund by PayPal or check.
In terms of transitioning your account to a new hosting company, there are many capable and reasonably priced options. Here is a list of possible options that I considered for my own usage:
* Amazon Web Services (caveat: requires a nontrivial effort)
I will unfortunately not be able to perform a migration of your site or email. I would recommend reaching out to whatever company you choose for assistance transitioning your information and of course, I will be available to answer any questions.
Thank you for your business over the years. It has been a pleasure working to provide hosting services for you!